Since being little my favorite part about my mom baking a cake or cookies was indulging in licking the spoon afterwards — so good! It’s a treat I still sneak in while whipping up a batch of cupcakes or cookies for my kids. Since we’re vegan and don’t use raw eggs, what could possibly be the problem, right? Wrong….
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted to their website warning that eating ANY amount of raw cookie dough or raw cake batter can lead to E. coli infections and salmonella poisoning — buzzkill.
In the post, the CDC warns that, “Flour (which is in even eggless mixes) is typically a raw agricultural product. This means it hasn’t been treated to kill germs like Escherichia coli (E. coli). Harmful germs can contaminate grain while it’s still in the field or at other steps as flour is produced. The bacteria are killed when food made with flour is cooked. This is why you should never taste or eat raw dough or batter—whether made from recalled flour or any other flour.”
Also noting that in, “2016, an outbreak of E. coli infections linked to raw flour made 63 people sick.” The CDC warns not to eat or taste any amount of raw cookie dough or batter whatsoever — this goes for pancake mix and pizza dough too.
It is also not safe to consume anything containing raw eggs which can contain Salmonella. The CDC advises to makes sure all foods containing eggs are fully cooked before eating.
If you can’t control the urge to lick the spoon, please be aware of the risks and be sure not to let kids consume any amount due to the harmful infections they could get. The CDC says that: “symptoms may range from mild to severe and may differ depending on the germ you swallowed. The symptoms of E. coli infections vary for each person but often include severe stomach cramps, diarrhea (often bloody), and vomiting.”