Man Hospitalized After Eating World’s Hottest Chili Pepper

Posted by

A 34-year-old man from New York State ate one Carolina Reaper chilli in a chilli-eating contest and ended up being hospitalized after experiencing “thunderclap” headaches.”Thunderclap” headaches are caused by the sudden tightening of the vessels that supply blood to the brain.

As soon as the man ate the chili pepper he began to experience  dry heaves. The painful headaches, and severe neck pain came days after eating the chili pepper. The doctor who reviewed his case has warned anyone eating hot chilli peppers to seek medical attention immediately if they experience sudden onset headaches.
Man Hospitalized After Eating World's Hottest Chili Pepper
The pain was so intense that the man went in to the ER to have several neurological tests done, all which came back negative.

A CT scan showed that several arteries in his brain had constricted, leading doctors to diagnose him with RCVS — making this the first ever case to be caused by eating chili peppers.

“We would not advise against eating Carolina Reaper at this time, but we would recommend the general public be cautious about these adverse effects and we advise that they should seek medical attention immediately if they develop sudden onset headache after eating hot peppers,” advised Dr Kulothungan Gunasekaran, at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.