Woman Infected With Flesh-Eating Bacteria After A 10 Minute Swim

Posted by
A Virginia woman named Amanda Edwards contracted a flesh-eating staph infection after just 10 minutes of swimming in the water and had to have emergency surgery just days later, according to WTKR.


“I was just like, ‘Oh, my goodness my leg is gonna fall off,’”  Edwards told the news outlet “That’s the only thing I could keep thinking.”Edwards and some friends had visited Norfolk’s Ocean View Beach last week when she noticed her infection spreading. After a couple of days, she couldn’t walk.

She went to the hospital for emergency surgery. “They had to cut me open, drain it out and stuff it with some gauze. I had to keep it covered for days. I had to take three antibodies every six hours.”

Edwards said doctors told her the infection may have spread through a cut in her leg. According to WTKR, there was a swimming advisory at the beach where Edwards visited due to the increased bacteria in the water.

Related Posts

X
Show more ↓